Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Work your way around the world...


I'm in Newcastle, NSW right now, on the prospective job hunt. Which is hard if your main experience is in retail, in this town at least anyways. Newcastle is weird. It's a beautiful town, but shots of alcohol are illegal because too many people get drunk off their tits and beat the shit out of each and their kids.
The beaches here a fucking awesome. No worries about crocodiles or stingers 'round here, which is pretty exciting because when I was in Darwin and Cairns, if you put your toe in the friggen water, somebody would jump out and yell, "Look the fuck out mate! There's bloody crocs in there!"
Not here though, there's even ocean baths built up above the water a bit. In case you're paranoid about sharks or some other stupid thing that lives in the ocean and hates you. One is even called the Convict Bath, cuz yup, prisoners built it!
I got here on Saturday, me thinks? Yeah saturday. Adam's sister Cristie and her friend Amy picked me up from the Airport and we went for some drinks at a bar called Blackbutt because their friend is the singer of a band and she was playing. We got out of the car and two guys were fighting. Full on fisticuffs! "Welcome to Newcastle!" Cristi remarked over-zealously. Twas a good evening, went to a bar called the Brewery. Everyone asked where the fuck I was from and poked at my arms. We saw a giant rat in the harbour. A giant rat, or a giant squid, or a giant effing something. It was weird looking regardless and paid no head to our drunken yellings at it.
I got drunk and drove the other night. After a 7 bar pub crawl with Adam's bitchin brother Tim and his mate Dean ( the D.D.) Which was pretty hilarious, and not at the same time.
Not only do I not have a full license, but I was trashed, and driving a car where everything was friggen backwards to anything I was used to. All of which equals the potential for me to get deported. Dean and Tim were extremely encouraging and supportive and congratulatory at my amazing ability not to smash the fucking thing into a wall. Overall, Dean being the designated driver, didn't do a very good job.
We pulled over at McDonald's and I relinquished the driver's seat. I got a filet-o-fish and it tasted pretty good, considering.
So, I'm basically here in Newcastle to finally settle the eff down and get a god damn job. I'm not entirely keen, my feet have been itchy since I got to this country. I keep feeling the urge to just pack up and hitch up to Byron Bay, work for my room in a hostel, and just chill. But alas, my funds be running low, and it's time to get back to the real world, if only for a short period. The plan, essentially, is to get some sort of work, anywhere. Grunt shit labour if I have to, and just work long enough 'till Adam and I go on our great Australian roadtrip in late October.
We're swinging down to the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, and boomeranging up to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) then over to the sunshine coast to get my home made Bourbon that's distilling in Sarah's basement, all 5 litres of it, and drink it all the way back to Newcastle.
I still don't know how I feel about Newcastle, again, it's probably just the itchy feet, I gotta douse em with something. A job!
I will probably enjoy it alot more when Adam gets the eff back early October.
I'm going to pickle myself with vast quantities of booze upon his return. lol
So, I dunno, I like to live in the now, but if work is this hard to get everywhere, I have to consider buying a plane ticket somewhere else well in advance, just in case I end up being a wandering vagrant for the duration of my stay here. At least then, I know I could get somewhere or back home at the very least.
But meh, thats a year off, well 11 months, but still!
I'm taking a course to get my R.S.A. (responsible service of alcohol) certificate. So I can be an effing bartender and get a bitchin job and be like Tom Cruise in Cocktail.
But mainly just so I broaden my job prospects, because if you want to be a waiter/barista/work in a bottle shop/or even be around liquor, you need it. Seriously, any job that is roughly 10 feet from a bottle of booze, you need the god damn thing.
And New South Wales is the only state where you can't just take it online, you actually have to go in for a course because they want to make sure you're awesome because NSW is fisticuffs, drunken bogan party state of the country I guess. So, thats booked for next Saturday.
Hopefully I can get a bartending job! How fuckin' rad would that be!?
Main goals while in Australia; grow my hair down to my tits, and a beard thick enough to hide my wallet. Kinda like Silas Kito Hocking up there!
I'm already shaving once every two days! The shortest period between shaves so far in my life!
C'mon puberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment